These are the 7 most important things to remember before the commencement of a kaizen event in a business organization:
1) Insufficient or inadequate process mapping will make the entire procedure fall short and the real purpose will be lost as well. It can be described as the most important thing while applying kaizen event in a business organization.
2) The team members should be really prepared and they should be given proper training in lean tools and value stream mapping. The team leader should undergo 10 to 20 hours of intensive training and importance should be given to team training as well. Before getting proceeded with the event, all members should be thoroughly familiar with the process and by doing so, arriving at the best conclusion will become a reality.
3) Inappropriate scope will adversely affect the success of a project and the entire effort will become meaningless. Striking the right balance is the key as far the success of the kaizen events are concerned.
4) The team leader should not be pre-occupied with solutions before the commencement of the event. The leader should not get engaged in mapping out the process before the event and such pre-conceived notions will work against the real purpose of any kaizen event.
5) The project will not deliver great results without having sufficient amount of event pre-work and it is always advisable to have a seasoned project chair for the purpose of guiding the leader. All pre-work items will have to be completed before starting the kaizen event.
6) The selection process of the team leader will have to done after having conducted proper amount of deliberations and careful considerations. The team leader can make or break the project and the right leader can be the greatest asset of the kaizen event.
7) The best team should be picked in an objective manner and the team members should not be the prisoners of discrimination or favoritism. The team that is getting engaged in the process of kaizen event should be capable of analyzing the problems in an impartial manner and a quality kaizen event will force new changes into the organization.
Get Kaizened is a leading lean consulting and lean training firm in California providing Kaizen, lean management and lean manufacturing consulting and training services to clientele in different industries worldwide. For more information about our consulting and training solutions contact us today.