It is a very good idea to implement Hoshin planning because this helps your organization to plan long term goals and to implement them effectively. This style of planning has been used very effectively by manufacturing companies in Japan, Europe and the United States but it can also be used by companies across different industries. Even though this is a very effective planning system, it is not without issues.
Problems with Hoshin planning are generally caused because of incorrect implementation. This is usually caused because organizations do not have the right guidance when adopting this planning style. The most common problems associated with it are:
- This planning style is a very interactive one and while this works well in most situations, it cannot be used effectively when trying to fix numeric goals.
- Very often, many employees at lower levels do not know enough about Hoshin planning. As a result, they are not motivated to give it their maximum efforts. They also tend to resist adopting a new way of working because they do not understand its significance for the well being of the company.
- Companies have to employ a lot of resources in order to use Hoshin properly.
- The success of this planning system depends very much on the senior management of a firm since this method takes a top down approach. In the event of changes in the top management then the new managers might not adopt the methods used by the old ones.
- Managers and employees can get obsessed with certain steps of the planning process and they can neglect other important steps. Also, if there are big egos involved then people might put a lot of effort and resources into certain activities been if they do not give the right results. This generally happens if a person has a pet project.
- A very commonly occurring problem concerns the inability or unwillingness to change when external or internal factors bring about alterations in the business environment.
- Many companies keep changing their goals repeatedly and this leads to confusion with employees who do not know exactly what to do.
An organization needs to study exactly which problems it is facing with regards to the implementation of Hoshin planning. Once the problems are identified, the company needs to address them without any delays. This will ensure that the company achieves its short term and long term goals without any issues.
Bottom Line: Read about the different issues that companies have to deal with when employing Hoshin planning. These issues get in the way of the company’s success.
Hoshin Kanri is very popular planning process that was developed in Japan taking inspiration from the American management technique of Management by Objectives. This process has been used all over the world because it contributes tremendously to the success of an organization. As a matter of fact, many organizations have begun to invest in training programs and software so that they can use Hosjin Kanri properly.
An organization that has never used Hoshin Kanri before generally needs to overhaul its style of functioning in order to get the best results both for the short term and the long term.
- Each and every operational unit in the company should be run according to the mission of the organization. This ensures that all activities are targeted towards the same goal with each department having responsibility of completing certain segments of the overall target.
- It is necessary to document activities because this enables the company to monitor performance properly. If there is any lag in target achievement then corrective measures can be taken without any delay.
- Measures should be put in place to ensure that any one activity does not get emphasis over others. This is a common problem faced when trying to implement Hoshin Kanri.
- It is very necessary to patient when using Hoshin planning. It takes an organization a minimum of 5 years (and sometimes as many as 20) to translate its organizational vision into a long range plan. Therefore, this process should also be done with a great deal of care since changes are rarely made from one year to the next.
- Companies that make use of this planning technique have to ensure that there is a very high level of communication within the organization. The purpose of this is to ensure that all employees know exactly what is expected of them so that they can work accordingly. This also helps motivate employees to perform properly at work, especially since they have to work in a changed work environment.
It is necessary to adopt Hoshin Kanri planning in the correct manner or else your company will not be able to achieve anything from it. You’ll need to pay for training sessions or even the services of a management consultant who can oversee your company’s efforts to plan for the future in the best possible manner. The effort you put into this will ensure that your company is well equipped to deal with the future.
Bottom Line: Read about the right approach to be adopted when implementing Hoshin Kanri planning. This planning method is effective at helping companies achieve long term and short term targets.
Hoshin planning is very important to an organization because it enables the company to work out the most suitable strategic plans and to implement them in the correct manner that helps the company to go forward easily. This technique was originally used by Japanese manufacturing companies but it is now employed by companies all over the world and across different industries. The word Hoshin means direction whereas Kanri indicates management. Therefore, it translates to the management of the direction in which the company has to move.
It is a very good idea to use Hoshin planning in your organization, because this technique sets up a structure that enables your company to define the best strategies and stick to them in order to make the company successful. However you need to ensure that you first get the right training program. If your company does not have the right strategic planning statement then this might take it down the wrong path and lead to negative consequences.
You’ll need to be able to select the right training program that gets you the best results. Be sure to look for a program that offers you:
– Common problems faced by companies when they first try to use Hoshin planning. For instance, it is sometimes very difficult for people to pull together as a team. Many companies also find it hard to deploy their mission in each and every operational unit. In addition, the training program should also offer the simplest and most cost effective methods of dealing with these issues.
– Understanding about the best kind of organizational culture that brings out the maximum results from deploying this style of planning. This is a very important thing to be considered because organizational culture is generally very hard to change.
– Practical examples of how Hoshin can be used in different situations and not just theoretical knowledge. This brings about a complete understanding of this planning system and how it can be used most effectively.
A training program on how to do Hoshin planning generally requires a considerably large investment of time and money, however, it will give you excellent returns as long as lessons that are learnt are implemented properly. It might also be necessary to conduct training programs from time to time in order to ensure that employees do not revert to earlier modes of behavior. This will make sure that your company is on the right track with regards to planning.
Bottom Line: Find out what you should look for when selecting a training program for Hoshin planning. This style of planning is very effective at keeping a company on track to success.